Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Goals Goals Goals

Goals Goals Goals.  I am excited!  Are you??? Here they are…

1.       Reading the bible in a year.  I have attempted this in the past, but have never been successful.  In the interest of full disclosure, I started about a week early so I could build in some margin… I know eventually I’ll need it.  If I don’t consciously hit the reset button, I know I will continue on autopilot as long as I can.  Godly character doesn’t just happen.
 
2.       For the month of January I would like to take on a Paleo challenge of sorts… If you haven’t heard of the Paleo diet, there are tons of fantastic resources out there, so I’m not even going to bother trying to explain it.  I have given myself a lot of grace when it comes to my eating habits with my husband gone, and it is time to get back on track and take better care of my body. This way of eating is pretty much about eating protein and veggies for the bulk of one’s diet and counting everything else as extra.  I always feel so much better when following this guideline. The difference in feeling is immediate, and that subsequent trimming down isn’t bad either. For me, the point is really to let food be for nutrition, and let other more lasting things fill the spaces where I am looking for comfort, distraction, love or rest.   After January I will loosen up a bit and try and teach myself the discipline of moderation- which for me is the most difficult part…  February should be interesting…

3.       In the same spirit, I am committing to three serious workouts a week.  Walking the dogs (something I do pretty regularly) not included.  Again, the motivation here is really about self care- something I tend to overlook.  I don’t want to be a crazy obsessed fitness buff- but I do want to nurture my body in small and steady ways.
 
4.       Blogging! I want to give this three months at least to see what I think about it.  So far- 3 days in- I am hooked.  Putting thoughts and feelings on paper and giving them some solid direction is cathartic and freeing and just fun.  I am sure there will be days where I feel quite the opposite, but I figure by three months in I ought to have a more solid take on how this fits into my life. 
 
5.       Project life!  Total newbie here...  I have no clue what I’m in for- but- I know that I need a way to systematically document life.  I am horrible at taking photos, and I have a horrible memory.  Not a good combination for remembering some of the amazing curve balls, mile stones, and simple blessings along the way...     
 
6.       Monthly adventures!  I need to think about this one a little bit more… But there are so many crazy things that I want to do, and I just tend to decide to pass it up. I want to say yes to some of them and see what comes from it.  Some of them are simple and service focused, and others are challenges that I ordinarily would be embarrassed to try- but- have a feeling I would love once I got over my embarrassment.

So there you have it.  Nothing terribly crazy...  Plenty that I’m sure won’t work out the way I am expecting, but even just committing outwardly to the challenge in order to see what comes feels like a step in a great direction.  I am hopeful and prayerful about what is to come this year- and am quite serious about structuring a life where I don’t miss what is going on around me.   Hurrah for 2013!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try and do some of these things with you. WE WILL TRY TO PRAY TOGETHER AT LEAST ONCE A DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete